Previous Benchmark Guides have also said that if you can improve your opt-in conversions on your website by 25-40% – which are not uncommon result during design tests – your list will grow significantly and those new names will provide your highest email campaign results.
Incentives can range from special pricing, to promising not to share personal information, or offering a free download. Incentives may increase an individual’s interest or intent to sign up, but that won’t translate into real numbers if the process is complicated or time-consuming.
Here are five best practices to consider before you begin offering the world to your potential subscribers.
1. Always tell users where they are in the sign up process
- Provide Breadcrumb trails and/or steps/length of time required to complete the form.
- Keep initial registration to one page if possible.
2. Validate email addresses before displaying thank-you pages
- It ensures the user is interested in signing up and not just in getting the incentive offered at the end (which is more a bonus for you).