Thanks to Our Sponsors!
Event season is back in full swing …
- The Art of Management in Toronto (a line up I would LOVE to see) – Oct 16, 2009. OneDegree readers get a great discount, Plus, we'll be giving away a pair of tickets next week.
- The Art of Sales in Vancouver – October 19, 2009. Again, an AMAZING discount for OneDegree readers. And we'll be giving away a pair of tickets to this one too.
- Marketing Week in Toronto, including Digital Day and Media Day – Nov 11 & 12, 2009. Yay, Dave Weinberger is returning to Canada for Digital Day.
Seen Around the Blogosphere
Kanye West's Random Act of Rudeness at the Video Music Awards has been the talk of the social media sphere and has lead to a slew of interrupted images (e.g."Kanye interrupts history), videos and even websites.
Keith Kleiner examines the "The Power of Twitter Accounts with Massive Followers or Lack Thereof".
And the question many are asking is "Whose Responsibility This?"
– and this time it's not Kanye
– but its origins may be just as disturbing. The new and amusing meme
stems from the author's comment about posting his (what may alternately
be the creepiest and
most hilarious piece of) perverted fan fiction on Topless Robot.
Seen on Marketing Blogs
Trying to convince companies that social media is influential? Try
this stat: "The majority (93.6%) of mothers regularly or occasionally
seek the advice of others before buying a service or a product,
while 97.2 percent said they offer advice to others about products or
services they purchased." And it's not just moms, of course. Many of us
ask friends to advise us on products, stores or services. These suggestions are more influential and far more personal and authentic than advertisements.
David Merman Scott looks at a Social Media Crisis and the lack
of company response to it in
"Social media and the Cotton On baby T-shirt crisis".
Alexandra Samuel of Social Signal offers some etiquette and tips for responding (or not not responding) to things that irritate you on Twitter with "Do you wag your hand at me? Five ways to say goodbye to scolding tweets" (via @hummingbird604)
Bookmarks from the Community
Heard on Twitter
- bigfuel In the notoriously closed off world of fashion, here are six social media sites every fashion marketer should know about: http://ow.ly/oQT0
- ConversationAge The Hierarchy of digital distractions… [pic] http://ff.im/8iA0p
- How HR Professionals Analyze Your Facebook Profile http://bit.ly/Rtqd3 (via @SaraACooper @jimstroud)
- Ten Steps to Maximize your LinkedIn Network | http://j.mp/qZRBP via @iamkhayyam
- Google unveils Fast Flip for newspapers and magazines http://bit.ly/iIxFD (via @newmediabc)
This Week's Video Meme
Technically, the Kayne clip would qualify, and I'mma let you finish, Kayne, but this video from the summer is a moment of
joy and is more worthy of a view. Go Digital Marketing Blog accesses that "[t]he video was real. But
promotional activities (possibly/likely paid) created the initial viral effect (led to the tipping point of the viral effect". C'mon watch it. It'll make you happy.