Many Thanks to Our Sponsors & Advertisers!
We are in full conference season swing! Plus people ARE still hiring – see the SWEET gig below!
- nextMEDIA is being held in Banff, June 5-7, 2009. We'll be there covering it! But that's not the ONLY reason you should come – there are a bunch of great speakers and stuff! Early bird rate is on til April 8.
- Search Engine Strategies returns to Toronto, June 8-10, 2009. OneDegree readers get a 15% discount!
- The CMA's National Convention and Showcase is coming up fast, April 27-29, 2009. Some fantastic speakers! Oh, we'll be at this one too 🙂
- Planners Unite! is on April 9, 2009. We've given away our two tickets (congrats Duane and Emily), but that shouldn't stop you from attending!
- Revolve has an opening for Director of Interactive in the ever-charming Halifax! Application deadline: April 17.
Updates on Us:
- Some great new contributors! Maria Koukopoulos debuted on OneDegree this week with her write-up of Mathew Ingram's recent Third Tuesday appearance. Part 2 will be published next week. And much to my chagrin, I missed welcoming Monique Trottier with her debut post on lessons from SxSW. Welcome to both of you!
- Welcome to all our new followers on Twitter! You can follow us there at @onedegree
- If you'd like to get involved with OneDegree, we're still looking for another Twitter editor or two – preferably someone from one of our coastal areas or la belle province! Also, we have a few open curation slots coming up for these Week-in-Review posts – a low commitment way to show off your marketing and social media savvy! Just give us a shout!
Seen Around the Blogosphere
- Karen Hegmann flips through a 1935 issue of Vanity Fair and wonders Whatever Happened to the ART in Advertising?
- June Li suggests we avoid getting mired in the semantics of figuring out the definition of a Unique Visitor…and get on with the task of optimizing for success.
- Angid Haggstrom at Search Engine People looks at 9 tools for creating content that is good for readers AND good for the search engines.
- Wild Apricot reviews a Jakob Nielsen study that looks at how non-profit websites could increase online donations by improving usability.
Heard on Twitter
- Steve Mast Interesting, nice to see Second Life in the news again … RT @cnn: Can Second Life help doctors treat patients? http://tinyurl.com/dbedxb
- Michael Assad RT @cmswire How to select a web content management system (#cms). Don't rely on a weighted features matrix. Commentary: http://bit.ly/jLSJN
- Diaperdisco Facebook has just appointed its first head of sales in Canada. Louise Clements – formerly of the VP of digital properties at Rogers Media.
Releases, Announcements and News
- After launching to barely lukewarm reviews the Wiki Search project is shut down.
- Lots of attention given to the threat of Conficker early in the week. Thankfully the Conficker worm lies low on April Fool's Day.
- Kaboose, producers of websites for parents and families, sells its business. North American business sold to Disney for $23.3 million.