From Our Sponsors & Advertisers
- Search Engine Strategies San Jose is coming up for August 10 – 14, 2009. We interviewed one of the speakers, Barbara Coll of WebMama Inc, this week and are looking forward to a couple more next week, including Yahoo!'s Director of Technical Marketing. Remember – OneDegree readers get 15% off registration when you use the code SJ15OD
- eTail East 2009 is being held August 3-6, 2009 in Baltimore.
In the News:
Yesterday, the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada called Facebook on the carpet for its privacy policies.
- CBC.ca: Facebook breaches Canadian privacy law: commissioner
- Slaw.ca: Facebook Privacy Report by Privacy Commissioner of Canada by Connie Crosby
Seen around the blog-o-sphere:
TechCrunch: Twitter's Internal Strategy Laid Bare: To be "The Pulse of The Planet". Over 300 confidential internal documents from Twitter were leaked by a hacker to TechCrunch this week.
Spiff up your PowerPoint decks with notable social media stats from Mashable. According to Neilson, "Twitter grew a massive 1,928 percent in the US from June ’08 to June ’09, now reaching a total of 21 million monthly unique visitors. Facebook, which Nielsen recently reported sucks up more time than any other website, leads all social networking sites with 87.3 million unique visitors in June."
From Canadian Marketing Blogs:
- Dave Fleet weighs in on MomDot's campaign for moms who blog to boycott PR for a week and starts a lively discussion. Bonus link: Do mommy bloggers need to grow up? by Caroline McCarthy at The Social on CNET.
- Alexandra Samuel at Social Signal shares a case study: How to use social media to recruit your dream hire. And the new hire, Channing Rodman, offers her perspective.
- Matt Vernhout at EmailKarma.net ponders subscriber trust as he points to the results of a survey by MAAWG (Messaging Anti-Abuse Working Group) that shows one third of consumers admitted to responding to a message they suspected might be spam.
Viral Video of the Week:
Nothing beats a Squirrel in a Yogurt Cup